Do you know how to activate BofA credit card? Bank of America aka BofA is one of the largest banking and financial services in the world. Right now, they have a wide range of credit cards for their customers. And, all of their credit cards come with different perks.
So, you might also have applied for one to make the best of your Bank of America account. But, now you see that you cannot use your BofA credit card without activating it first. This is normal. For security reasons, the credit card doesn’t come pre-activated. Typically, the card will come with all the instructions on how to activate it.
So, you should follow that. But we know that the instructions might not be detailed enough to understand for everybody. To tackle the problem, we have put together this article, in which we will be revealing all the ways you can activate the BofA credit card.
So, let’s get into it…
How to Activate BofA Credit Card (Bank of America)?
Fortunately, there is more than one method of activating your BofA credit card. And, in this section, we will be describing all of them individually. For your convenience, we will write the tutorials in a step by step manner. Here we go…
Method #1 Activate BofA Credit Card Using Online Banking Account
The first method is the standard option. And, most of the BofA credit cards users use this method to activate their credit cards. But to be able to try this method, you will need to have an online banking account with BofA or Bank of America in the first place. Don’t have one yet? Don’t fret!
Because we will share the whole method of opening a new online banking account with BofA in the following section. After you have created a new online and mobile banking account with BofA, you will be able to activate your credit card easily. Here we will explain both opening a new online banking account and activating the BofA credit card this way.
How to Open an Online Banking and Mobile Account in BofA?
Here are the steps to follow to enroll in BofA online banking.
- From your mobile or PC browser, go to this link
- Now, click or tap on the ‘Enroll in Online Banking’ option from the page
- Next, you will have to provide a few bits of information like your credit card number or your account number (last 6 digits), and your Social Security or Tax ID number, etc.
- Now, if you don’t have a TIN or SSN number, then you should click on the ‘Don’t have an SSN or TIN’ link
- In doing so, the blank fields will change to Checking/Savings Account Number, ATM/Debit Card Number (last 6 digits), and ATM/Debit Card PIN
- So, provide the required information correctly and click on the ‘Continue’ button from the bottom of the page
- As usual, provide the required information in the next pages, and your new online banking account will be created with BofA
After you have created your new account, you will be given a passcode and an online ID for you. Now, let’s learn the process of activating your new credit card.
Steps to Follow to Activate BofA card using Online Banking Account
- Once again, go to this page on Bank of America’s official website from your PC or mobile browser
- On that page, click or tap on the ‘Sign in to Online Banking’ option
- Next, you will have to enter the ‘Online ID’ and ‘Passcode’ and click or tap on the ‘Sign In’ button
- Then, on the next page, you will have to confirm and verify your identity and credit card by entering the required information
- And, follow the instructions on the screen to activate your credit card
If you have followed the steps above and entered the right information, you will be able to activate your credit card. On the other hand, if you are not comfortable with this method, you should skip this method and follow the next ones.
Method #2 Activate BofA Credit Card via Phone
If you are comfortable talking over the phone, you can use this method. In this method, we will share the credit card activation phone number of BofA. And, you will have to call this number and try to activate it. Here are the steps…
- Simply, call 800-276-9939 from your phone
- Then you will be prompted to enter or say a few important information regarding your credit card like the card number, security code, expiry date, or your Social Security Number, etc.
- This is a standard procedure. So, you should provide the required information accordingly
After you have given the required information and followed the instructions correctly, your credit card should be activated. And, you should also remember that 800-276-9939 is an exclusive number that you can contact to activate your BofA credit card. And, this number is available 24/7.
Interestingly, BofA also take calls that are made through relay services for activating the credit card. For that, you can dial 711. And, BofA also has an international customer service number related to lost or stolen credit cards.
So, if you are facing any issues with your credit card, you can contact 1-757-677-4701. As this is their International number, you can call this number from any country around the world. However, in most cases, international roaming charges might apply.
Method #3 Activate BofA Credit Card Using the Mobile Application
If any of the methods above haven’t worked for you, you can try this last method. In this process, you will have to take advantage of the BofA mobile app. Fortunately, the mobile application of Bank of America is available on both iOS and Android. And, it is also free to download.
Now, to use this method, you will need to have an online banking account with BofA or Bank of America. If you don’t have one, you can easily open a new account following the method of opening an online banking and mobile account described above. After you have done that, you can proceed to follow the steps below.
Steps to Follow
- Launch the Bank of America or BofA mobile application on your smartphone
- Then, log in to your BofA online banking account using the Online ID and passcode
- Now, locate the new credit card from under the account that is associated with the card by match the last 4 digits of the card
- Next, tap on the card and activate the card by following the onscreen instructions
- In this case, you will have to provide a few bits of information regarding your BofA credit card. Make sure you are entering the correct information
That is all for you! At this moment, the credit card should be activated. In our opinion, activating the credit card using the BofA mobile app is the easiest way.
So, we have shared 3 procedures of activating the BofA credit card. All of these methods are valid. So you should follow the method that you are comfortable with. If you have received your new credit card from Bank of America. You should activate it as fast as possible. And we believe this post will make it easy for you to activate the BofA credit card.
If you face any issues, or if you happen to have any suggestions or queries, you can share them with us by commenting below!